Just a note to say hello...

Hello, and thankyou for reading my blog! (even if you are just here for a passing visit/because you got lost/looking for something else/because I have harassed you into taking a look!) This blog really only exists because I love to write, and talking/writing is how I process and make sense of things…I have been writing stuff for years even though nobody has ever really read it, but I have set this blog up because 1) I have become slightly addicted to reading other peoples' blogs and wanted my own, and 2) because they have helped me see things differently, and I want to do the same! I hope at least some of what I've written does this for you.

From July 2015, this blog is taking a bit of a break from its usual state, and becoming a travel blog (something I never thought I, Katie Watson, would ever write, but there we go) as I embark on my adventures across the Channel, and go and study in Brittany, France as part of my degree. I hope it helps any of you who are reading it whilst planning your own year abroad, and that the rest of you reading just for the entertainment factor are suitably amused by my attempts to understand the French mode de vie!

Thursday 13 March 2014

Mopping the floors

I watched Bruce Almighty with my friends today; there are many amazing moments in that film which speak to me about God, but one that really stood out for me today was when Bruce is feeling completely overrun by the pressures of everything going wrong around him, and he goes to see God. Morgan Freeman (I think God will be something like Morgan Freeman in Bruce Almighty…understanding, loving, patient yet hilariously funny) reminds him of a promise he made to him at the beginning of the film; to help him mop the floors. And - unlike earlier - Bruce actually does it this time.

I really let stress get to me sometimes…if everything is crazy and busy, I go into superwoman mode (well what I think is superwoman mode anyway…to be honest I think it just makes me look a bit ridiculous) and try and get it all done myself. I'm like a horse with blinkers on, all I can see is the end of my to-do list, and I'm often short and snappy with people as a result. And, worst of all, I sacrifice time with God for time getting things done. But in reality, this is when I need quiet time with God most. In these moments, spending time mopping the floors (metaphorically obviously…I don't think I have ever actually mopped a floor in my life. Sorry Mum) just me and God, is the most productive thing I can do in that moment. Slowing down allows me to relax, be more productive in my busy-ness, treat people with love even though I'm stressed, and see things with God's perspective and priorities and not my own.

So next time you see me rushing around like a headless chicken, remind me to go and just spend time mopping the floors with God. That's what I really need; time with the one I love and who knows me better than I know myself to destress and re-centre. I might yell at you, and I'm so sorry for that (shamefully, my friends and family have to put up with my yelling a lot) but I will thank you later. As God says to Bruce, 'that's the amazing thing; no matter how dirty things get, you can always clean them right up'.

No comments:

Post a Comment